Q: When can I apply for the SFIC Scholarship?
- The applications for the 2019-2020 school year will be available on the www.sficnj.org website beginning February 1, 2019. The application may only be filled out and submitted on-line and will be considered complete once ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS are submitted. Any applications received without the proper financial documentation by the deadline date or after the April 30th deadline will not be considered.
Q: How can I apply?
- Returning families who are currently receiving a scholarship or have previously applied will receive an email with instructions on how to re-apply with a special link to access the on line application. Returning families MUST USE THE UNIQUE LINK sent via email. Do not re-apply through the NEW APPLICANT link. This will create a duplicate record in our system and the processing of the application will be delayed.
- New applicant families applying for the very first time should visit our website at www.sficnj.org and create an account as a new family. When creating your account be aware that SFIC does not have access to your password so be diligent and save the information where you can readily gain access to it. You will be using this annually when you re-apply.
Q: What is needed with my application?
- All applications must include a copy of your signed 2018 Federal 1040 form and all 2018 W-2 forms (and Schedule C if business income is reported on the Federal 1040 form). A $30 non-refundable fee payable to SFIC is required. The Federal 1040 form must include the name(s) of each child for whom you are requesting assistance. If appropriate, you should also include copies of Unemployment, Child Support, Public Assistance, and Social Security benefits.
- All applicants must provide a valid email address.
Q: What should I do if my current financial situation is different from my income reported on my 2017 Federal 1040 form?
- Please fill out the appropriate section on the on-line application explaining any change in employment or compensation status. You must submit documentation that supports your letter.
Q: What should I do if I/we did not file in 2018 Federal IRS Tax return?
- A: Please submit a letter detailing your total household income for the period of January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018. You must include documentation that supports your household income (4 paystubs, letter from your employer on company letterhead, etc). You must also submit documentation that the applicant is the legal guardian of the students you are requesting aid for.
Q: Who is eligible to apply for the SFIC scholarship?
- Parents/Guardians of students in grades K-12 from low income families currently or planning to enroll in a Catholic school located in the Archdiocese of Newark within Bergen, Essex, Hudson, and Union counties are eligible to apply. For a complete list of schools, please visit catholicschoolsnj.org.
Q: Once my on-line application is submitted, can I call the SFIC office to inquire about the status of my application?
- No. All applications submitted will remain under review until final determinations are made. SFIC will not provide any other information before a finalized award decision has been announced. All correspondence regarding your application will be emailed to you before the end of June, 2019.
Q: Will you notify me if my on-line application is incomplete or missing information?
- Yes. SFIC will email you, up until April 30, 2019, if you are missing any required documentation. Any information received after April 30, 2019 will be past the deadline and will not be eligible for consideration.
Q: If my family is awarded, how is the payment made?
- If your family has been awarded a scholarship, payments will be made directly to your child(ren’s) respective school in the form of two installments: 50% of the award will be paid in January for the first half of the school year and the remaining 50% will be paid in June for the second half of the school year.
Q: If my child is currently receiving a scholarship, do I have to reapply for the following school year(s)?
- Yes. Families must apply for the SFIC scholarships every year, regardless of whether they are currently receiving or have been past recipients of an award. Families must also supply the most current financial documentation with their application every year. If you applied within the last year (whether you received an award or not) you will receive an email with a special link for you to access the application. Please check with our office at 973 497-4283 to make sure the email on file is the correct one. Do not use the link on the website for new applicants as it will delay the process.
Q: What are the requirements needed to be considered for your scholarship?
- Eligibility is based upon the total family household income. Your child must be enrolled or planning to attend a Catholic school in the Archdiocese of Newark in grades Kindergarten to 12th and you must meet the financial requirements established by SFIC.
Q: Do I have to be living in the same town as the school my child attends to be eligible to apply?
- No. Your child must be attending or enrolled to attend a Newark Archdiocesan school, however, you do not have to live in the same town as the school. For a complete list of schools, please visit: catholicschoolsnj.org.
Q: Can I receive more than one scholarship from The Scholarship Fund for Inner-City Children?
- No. Only one scholarship per student is permitted. Students in grades K-8 receiving tuition assistance from The Children’s Scholarship Fund (CSF) program are not eligible for The Scholarship Fund for Inner-City Children Scholarship (SFIC). The Children Scholarship Fund eligibility requirements for Northern NJ differ from The Scholarship Fund for Inner-City Children Scholarship. Visit https://www.sficnj.org/scholarship-programs/csf/ for further information on the CSF Program and requirements or email firstname.lastname@example.org.